Lawn Mower Blades – Smart Tips For Sharper Blades
Sharp lawn mower blades are an absolute necessity for a beautiful, well-manicured lawn. To make sharpening your lawn mower blades safe, fast and easy, use these smart tips for sharper blades.
- Start with an empty gas tank to avoid gas spills.
- If you have a push mower, tip the mower over with the carburetor on the top side to avoid leaking oil.
- Gather your tools before you start the job;
- Blade grinder of choice
- Safety goggles and ear plugs
- Light weight machine oil
- Scraper, steel brush or steel wool
- Blade balancer
- Block of wood or blade holder to block blade movement when removing the blade.
- Spray paint.
- Wear safety goggles and, if working with an electric grinder, ear plugs.
- Find a nearby flat surface to put all of your small parts and equipment on, such as the spark plug, the blade bolt, etc. Keep track of what you took off.
- Remove the spark plug before removing the lawn mower blade to prevent accidental starts.
- Squirt some penetrating oil on the blade bolt and nut a few minutes before removing to make removing it easier.
- Block the blade’s movement by using a blade holder or a block of wood.
- Spray paint the blade to mark it so you put it back on the right way. Some mowers are designed so you can’t put the blade on the wrong way.
- Clean the blade before sharpening it, using steel wool or a steel brush. For easier clean-up, you might want to scrape the blade over a trash barrel or tarp.
- For the tightest fit and to prevent the mounting bolt from working loose, use a scraper to remove the excess grass buildup around the center hole of the blade.
- Be sure to follow the manufacturer’s angle on the blade when sharpening it.
- Be careful not to overheat the metal if using a bench grinder to sharpen the blade.
- To lower the chances of burning the blade from excessive grinding, consider using a belt sander with 100 grit abrasive paper or a 4-1/2 inch angle grinder with a disc containing abrasive emery cloth.
To get the best results in sharpening your lawn mower blades, also be sure to read the manufacturer’s recommendations before you start. Make your lawn care easier and enjoy a gorgeous lawn by following these smart tips for sharper lawn mower blades. More tips and guide visit: reservdelaronline.se